Proof of Delivery (POD) is a document that is essential to the shipping process. Learn all about Proof of Delivery here to improve your overall logistics knowledge or to prepare for future cargo shipments.
Proof of Delivery Definition
Proof of Delivery is a document that states a shipment was successfully delivered to its final destination and was received by the appropriate recipient. This type of documentation is used far beyond the shipping industry, with each industry tailoring it to its unique needs as a distinct way to document the exchanging of goods and the completion an agreed upon service. You may notice a delivery service will take a photo of your order sitting on your porch once it is delivered, this is an example of a different industry utilizing proof of delivery to help both the business and the customer.
One important distinction to make is that Proof of Delivery is not a legal document, like many other important documents in cargo shipping. The purpose of Proof of Delivery documents are to benefit the business so they know the order was completed.
Why is Proof of Delivery Important?
So, if Proof of Delivery isn’t a legal document, is it still important? Yes, it certainly is! Let’s break down the benefits of having a Proof of Delivery for both logistics managers and customers:
Benefits of Proof of Delivery for Businesses/Logistics Managers
- Proof of Delivery documentation assures a logistics manager that the job has been completed successfully, allowing them to move on to the next shipment with the peace of mind that their customer has been taken care of.
- PODs also allow businesses to shift their resources faster. As soon as a Proof of Delivery is completed, the business can immediately move the resources they had assigned to that shipment over to the next priority, allowing business to move along faster and more efficiently. This almost always will reduce costs for the business, making a noticable difference over the long-term.
- Customer experiences improve with added communication and trust, which is exactly what PODs help to build. With happier customers, businesses are likely to earn returning customers, positive reviews and referrals made from those happy customers to their colleagues, friends and family.
- PODs have also been known to improve the accuracy of businesses’ performances. As with all procedures and policies, having these practices in place help businesses run more efficiently and more accurately while teaching employees how to best operate.
Benefits of Proof of Delivery for Customers
- With a POD, customers have confirmation that their cargo has successfully arrived at their destination safe and sound, without having to manually check.
- PODs also help to reduce theft, as they confirm items were handed over to the recipient themself.
- Now more than ever, customers want to know the status of their items at any given moment, with more customers than not demanding tracking information for every item they purchase. With Proof of Delivery, customers are kept in the know and kept happy!
Questions about Proof of Delivery?
If you still have questions about what Proof of Delivery is, how it works, and why it’s important, contact our team today and we’ll be happy to answer your questions in detail.